Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and tips and do the exercises.
- Organise the letter clearly into:
- The reason for writing
- The nature of the problem
- The outcome you'd like
- An apology for the inconvenience
- Don't go into too much personal detail when explaining the problem, as this is a formal situation with a person you don't know well.
- To make polite requests use the phrase I would be grateful if you could …
- Using nouns instead of verbs can make your writing sound more formal. (For example, instead of My circumstances have changed, say There has been a change in my circumstances.)
- Sign off Yours sincerely, if you know the person's name and Yours faithfully, if you don't.